Wednesday 2 February 2011

Living it up in the Louvre

So, I did go to the Louvre again, fully intending to appreciate the works of art there and become more cultured and understand more things about art. However, guidebooks are crazy expensive and not really worth it because the Louvre is so big and I have lived here for sixteen months and only been twice and not even seen most of it. So, I didn't get a guidebook and most of the information by the paintings/statues/whatever is useless, so I am no more educated than I used to be.

It was, however, extremely amusing. I discovered that deciding what the people were thinking while their portrait was being painted was far more entertaining than actually learning facts. I mean, come on! I took far too few photos, but this one blew my mind so much I nearly dropped my camera in my haste to digitally commemorate it.


Amazing. I just want to kiss whoever painted that. It was meant to be of a monarch (a Henri of France, I think) dressed up as Hercules. Can you imagine Hercules striking a pose like this? Hercules was way to hardcore to prance around posing with hydras all day long. Seriously. Also, how many English Henrys would have let a portrait..er get away with painting this hilariously flattering image? I don't think so. Still, that's the French for you.

I went to the museum with my friend Martha who managed to intimidate me by saying things like "Oh yes, I recognise that, it's so obviously Gobi's style" and "Oh, you can just tell by glancing that that's a Turner". How do people know these things? It's like my brother who can listen to a piece of classic music and come out with "Oh, this is Beethoven's ninth symphony, I recognise the clarinets". I don't even know if there are clarinets in Beethoven's ninth symphony, which I feel only strengthens my point. Clearly I missed a crucial part of my education somewhere. It must have been that one day I was ill in six years of schooling. If only I wasn't such a hypochondriac, think how cultured I would be now!

Much more pleasingly, I managed to find the tacky gift shop where you can buy all manner of Mona Lisa themed items. I didn't find it last time and ended up in the classy gift shop where you can largely just buy expensive porcelain and jewellery and books. Psh! This time was much better, though I did have to persuade myself I didn't need a matching Mona Lisa notebook-pen set or a whole lot of stone scarabs, purely for the sake of my bank balance. I was sorely tempted by an Asterix themed triva card set, attractively priced at only 10€, but as I spent 35€ on a skirt two days ago, I dragged my eyes away and went to look at stuff that was far too expensive and which made me want to run out of the shop crying with hate.

So there we go. That was my attempt at culture for the weekend. The rest of the time was spent in bars/restaurants/bookshops/myhouse. We did go and look at the Sacre Coeur... at least, sort of. And we stood outside the Notre Dame and took pictures to prove we'd been there. Oh yes. Maybe I will make more of an effort for the next person who comes and visits. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, culture Kate-style :-p To be fair, Turner's paintings and Beethoven's 9th are pretty damn famous pieces, you shouldn't be intimidated by other people's knowledge of them! (What I mean is, they're not obscure works, so people who recognise them aren't necessarily cultural super sleuths!)

    ReplyDelete